commitment to Our patients
Our industry is rapidly evolving, and we're focused on transforming the future of healthcare through research, innovation, and compassion. We create comprehensive solutions for people living with chronic kidney disease and related conditions. Together, we’re working to provide superior care that improves the quality of life of every patient, every day.
72 net promoter score
for home dialysis, which shows our home dialysis patients are highly likely to recommend our solutions.1
1. According to global NPS standards, any score above 70 is world class.
visited PatientHub, an application that helps patients manage their care and stay connected with their care team.
1,561 fresenius kidney care centers
achieved the highest rating with four and five stars in clinical quality as measured by the U.S. government.
Supporting Patients remotely during covid-19
We expanded telehealth and other technologies to support patients during COVID-19. Highlights include:
- A record 807,000+ remote visits between patients, care teams, and physicians by the end of 2020
- An update to ProviderHub, part of our connected health platform, allowing physicians to better monitor home dialysis patients
- New health screening and workflow functionality added to Acumen 2.0, our next-generation electronic health record software for all physicians
record growth in home therapies
We’re empowering patients to choose home therapies through support, education, advocacy, nursing, and technology. The 2020 results are in:
- A record 14% increase in home dialysis treatments (home hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis combined)
- A 37% increase in home hemodialysis treatments
- A 25% increase in home training
The highest levels of care
- According to the U.S. government’s Five-Star Rating System, in 2020, 771 Fresenius Kidney Care centers achieved the highest rating with five stars in clinical quality, up from 762 centers in 2019
- Fresenius Kidney Care also increased the number of four- and five-star centers to 489 in the patient survey star ratings, up from 440 in the previous survey period
We offer free, expert-led KidneyCare:365 classes to help people with chronic kidney disease learn more, so they can feel more in charge of their health and can thrive. The class is offered in a variety of formats, with an educator or self-guided, and covers kidney basics, eating well, coping and getting support, and treatment options.
We created a full suite of insurance education materials to support people in understanding their options. With Medicare Advantage becoming available to those with end stage renal disease and special enrollment periods, we are providing resources to ensure people find the best insurance options for them.
SUPPORTING PATIENTS EVERY DAY
Transitional Care Units
In 2020, Fresenius Kidney Care opened 115 new Transitional Care Units (TCUs), which help people recently diagnosed with kidney failure learn about treatment options (including home dialysis) available, and become more empowered to manage their own care. TCUs are separate spaces within our dialysis centers that have separate staff dedicated to onboarding patients new to dialysis. This setting provides patients both the education and time to choose the therapy best suited for them, and greatly increases the chance that they will select a home therapy.
Recognized Customer Service
In 2020, our Renal Therapies Group customer support team received the distinct honor of being the first in our industry to be named a J.D. Power Certified Customer Service Program. The J.D. Power Certified Customer Service Program recognition is based on successfully completing an evaluation and exceeding a customer satisfaction benchmark through a survey of recent servicing interactions. The Renal Therapies Group Customer Service team assists home patients and dialysis facilities throughout the United States in ordering dialysis supplies. The team focuses on providing an effortless experience for patients and healthcare providers through active listening, positive language, and forward resolution.
listening to patient needs
patient experience team
Our Patient Experience Team helps us gather insights and drive action based on feedback from those who rely on us most. We developed our new Voice of the Customer platform for a more systematic approach to listening and identifying opportunities for improvement. Recently, we’ve integrated the patient experience into performance management, employee training, and company-wide communications and meetings.
kidney care community
Our Kidney Care Community is an online forum that provides information and inspiration for anyone impacted by chronic kidney disease. Users can ask questions, tell stories, give and receive support, and make connections. By the end of 2020, we had 2,426 community members.
SURVEY SHOWS SIGNIFICANT GAP BETWEEN DESIRE AND ABILITY TO AGE IN PLACE
Aging in place refers to the ability of an adult to live in their existing home or community regardless of age, income, or ability. A new national survey reveals that nearly 2 in 3 American adults (65%) have a goal to age in place, while only 1 in 3 (33%) believe that goal is realistic. The findings came as part of a larger survey examining aging in place, which was commissioned by FMCNA. The survey of 2,750 U.S. adults also revealed three main factors that influence individuals’ ability to age in place: social determinants of health, presence and availability of one’s caregiver network, and perceived quality of care.
POWERFUL SOLUTIONS FOR COMPASSIONATE CARE
In an effort to provide high-quality, personalized care, in 2020 we:
- Launched theHub: a connected health platform with enhanced remote patient monitoring that has been shown to improve patient outcomes
- Added hundreds of new direct patient care staff specialized in home therapies
- Educated 50,460 people living with chronic kidney disease or end stage renal disease about home dialysis with the help of 190 Fresenius Kidney Care Advocates
- Provided more than 70,000 live workshops and online courses through ourAdvanced Renal Education Program (AREP)
I have personal relationships there. We talk about life stuff — the news, sports, movies, etc. It’s a family atmosphere. It is more than them doing their job.
Mike Roberson, Home Dialysis Patient with Fresenius Kidney Care
Contributing to the UNited Nations Sustainable Development Goals
All corporate responsibility data is from 2020 unless otherwise noted.