Connected Health at Fresenius Medical Care
The PD Patient Monitoring Solution ensures uninterrupted communication between patients at home and healthcare professionals (HCPs) in the clinic (Figure 2).
The PD Patient Monitoring Solution is a cloud-based digital ecosystem. With a simple Internet connection, users can store and access their data online in a fast, easy, and safe way. HCPs have a single place to manage all PD patients, track progress, and monitor prescribed therapies: the PD Patient Monitoring Solution HCPs portal. The PD Patient Monitoring Solution also relies on hardware devices — the Cycler, the Card Reader, and the Gateway — that enable bidirectional connectivity between the Cycler at home and The PD Patient Monitoring Solution HCPs portal in the clinic. Patients are empowered to track their daily treatment data and vitals to self-manage their chronic kidney disease using the PD Health Tracking App, which is also connected to the cloud via Wi-Fi, enabling communication between patients and healthcare professionals.
The PD Patient Monitoring Solution is an innovative, paperless, digital solution that provides access to detailed, organized patient data in a timely manner. It allows healthcare professionals to focus on delivery of high-quality care for patients who choose home-based treatment.
The myCompanion app is Fresenius Medical Care’s health solution for in-center hemodialysis patients. It allows patients to access their treatment data, track values of critical lab results, and access medication information. The app provides patients with additional information about their condition, treatment plan, and treatment results, and facilitates more informed discussions with their healthcare team. myCompanion empowers individuals living with kidney disease to take a more active role in their disease management. The app also provides a holistic learning curriculum that includes engaging content to help patients learn about kidney disease (Figure 3).
Ultimately, improved data sharing will provide healthcare professionals with constant updates on the health of their patients, even before the next contact occurs. This establishes and supports a trusting, collaborative relationship between patients and their care team.
Free Report: Embracing the Complexity of Global Healthcare
Get access to the latest nephrology research and insights from 45 experts around the globe to discover how Fresenius Medical Care’s collective progress and learnings are driving innovation.
Meet The Experts
- Steil H, Amato C, Carioni C, et al. EuCliD—a medical registry. Methods Inf Med 2004;43(1):83-8. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15026844/.
- Turley CB, Obeid J, Larsen R, et al. Leveraging a statewide clinical data warehouse to expand boundaries of the learning health system. EGEMS (Wash DC) 2016;4(1):1245. doi:10.13063/2327-9214.1245.
- Neri L, Ponce P, Matias N, et al. Clinical target achievement is associated with better quality of life among dialysis patients: results from a continuous quality improvement program in a Portuguese healthcare network. Qual Life Res 2020;29(10):2705-14. doi: 10.1007/s11136-020-02543-0.
- Garbelli M, Titapiccolo JI , Bellocchio F, Stuard S, et al. Prolonged patient survival after implementation of a continuous quality improvement programme empowered by digital transformation in a large dialysis network. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2021;gfab160. doi: 10.1093/ndt/gfab160.
- Chaudhuri S, Han H, Muchiutti C, et al. Remote treatment monitoring on hospitalization and technique failure rates in peritoneal dialysis patients. Kidney360 2020 March;1(3):191-202. https://doi.org/10.34067/KID.0000302019.
- Giles H, Ficociello LH, Li Y, et al. Remote patient monitoring and longevity on peritoneal dialysis. Abstract. Peritoneal Dialysis International 2019 March;39:S4.