Genomics and Precision Medicine: The Frenova Genomics Registry
Innovative biopharmaceutical companies are making significant investments in the development and study of genotypic-driven therapies associated with known monogenetic disorders that predispose individuals to various kidney diseases. The creation of this large data set will be crucial to unraveling the complexities of CKD and enabling accelerated discovery and development of new therapies.
Frenova Research coordinators have begun consenting patients within the Frenova Site Management Organization network of US dialysis clinics. The program is now expanding to include Fresenius Kidney Care clinics throughout the US and will eventually expand to other global regions and include individuals with earlier stages of CKD.
Information on the registry and the opportunity to consent to participate are available through the My Reason website at www.whatsyourreason.com (Figure 3).
The creation of the world’s largest kidney genomics registry will require widespread engagement with the kidney community and the participation of individuals at all stages of CKD, along with their families, in My Reason.
Free Report: Embracing the Complexity of Global Healthcare
Get access to the latest nephrology research and insights from 45 experts around the globe to discover how Fresenius Medical Care’s collective progress and learnings are driving innovation.
Meet The Experts
- Nogrady B. How cancer genomics is transforming diagnosis and treatment. Nature 2020;579(7800):S10-S11. doi:10.1038/d41586-020-00845-4.
- Precision medicine in nephrology. Nat Rev Nephrol 2020;16(11):615. doi:10.1038/s41581-020-00360-9.
- Hays T, Groopman EE, Gharavi AG. Genetic testing for kidney disease of unknown etiology. Kidney Int 2020;98(3):590-600. doi:10.1016/j.kint.2020.03.031.
- Groopman EE, Rasouly HM, Gharavi AG. Genomic medicine for kidney disease. Nat Rev Nephrol 2018;14(2):83-104. doi:10.1038/nrneph.2017.167.
- Moulin F, Ponte B, Pruijm M, et al. A population-based approach to assess the heritability and distribution of renal handling of electrolytes. Kidney Int2017;92:1536-43. doi:10.1016/j.kint.2017.06.020.
- Marian AJ. Challenges in medical applications of whole exome/genome sequencing discoveries. Trends Cardiovasc Med 2012;22(8):219-23. doi:10.1016/j.tcm.2012.08.001.
- Piras D, Zoledziewska M, Cucca F, Pani A. Genome-wide analysis studies and chronic kidney disease. Kidney Dis (Basel) 2017;3(3):106-10. doi:10.1159/000481886.
- Groopman et al. Genomic medicine for kidney disease.
- Armstrong ME, Thomas CP. Diagnosis of monogenic chronic kidney diseases. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 2019;28(2):183-94. doi:10.1097/MNH.0000000000000486.