Success! The link has been copied to your clipboard.
Meet Our Experts
JEFFREY HYMES, MD
Chief Medical Officer, Fresenius Kidney Care
Jeffrey Hymes is senior vice president for Fresenius Medical Care Clinical and Scientific Affairs and serves as chief medical officer for Fresenius Kidney Care and chairman of the Fresenius Kidney Care Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee. He is a graduate of Yale College and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, completed his medical internship and residency at Yale New Haven Medical Center, and did subspecialty training in nephrology at Boston University. Dr. Hymes is board certified in internal medicine, nephrology, and critical care. He co-founded REN Corporation in 1986 and National Nephrology Associates (NNA) in 1998, and served as NNA's president and chief medical officer from 1998 to 2004.
STEFANO STUARD, MD, PhD
Chief Clinical Officer, Fresenius Medical Care, Europe, Middle East, and Africa
Stefano Stuard supports the NephroCare medical leadership in his role as chief clinical officer for the EMEA region. He previously served as vice president and head of the EMEA Center of Excellence for Clinical and Therapeutic Governance, and continues as the operational medical counsel for the company's services business in EMEA. Dr. Stuard's distinguished career includes nearly a decade with Fresenius Medical Care in clinical governance roles for the company's EMEA and Latin America regions, and he has served as a consultant/director for nephrology and dialysis departments in Italian public and private hospitals. Dr. Stuard received his PhD in nephrology from the University of Bologna in Italy, and his doctor of medicine and surgery with a post-graduate diploma in nephrology from the University of Chieti.
- Wizemann V, Leibinger A, Mueller K, Nilson A. Influence of hydration state on plasma volume changes during ultrafiltration. Artif Organs 1995;19(5):416-9.
- Hung SC, Kuo KL, Peng CH, Wu CH, Wang YC, Tarng DC. Association of fluid retention with anemia and clinical outcomes among patients with chronic kidney disease. J Am Heart Assoc 2015;4(1):e001480.
- Wizemann V, Wabel P, Chamney P, et al. The mortality risk of overhydration in haemodialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2009;24(5):1574-79.
- Zoccali C, Moissl U, Chazot C, et al. Chronic fluid overload and mortality in ESRD. J Am Soc Nephrol 2017;28(8):2491-97.
- United States Renal Data System. "Mortality," chap. 5, 2018 annual data report. https://www.usrds.org/2018/view/v2_05.aspx.
- Machek P, Jirka T, Moissl U, Chamney P, Wabel P. Guided optimization of fluid status in haemodialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2010;25(2):538-44.
- Chamney PW, Wabel P, Moissl UM, et al. A whole-body model to distinguish excess fluid from the hydration of major body tissues. Am J Clin Nutr 2007;85(1):80-9.
- Wizemann et al. The mortality risk of overhydration in haemodialysis patients.