Success! The link has been copied to your clipboard.
Meet Our Experts
DUGAN MADDUX, MD, PhD, FACP
Vice President, Kidney Disease Initiatives, Fresenius Medical Care
Nephrologist Dugan Maddux champions FMCNA's clinical innovation endeavors and is co-founder of the Gamewood companies, including Acumen Physician Solutions. Blogger, writer, and essayist, she developed the Nephrology Oral History project chronicling early dialysis pioneers. She holds her bachelor's degree in chemistry from Vanderbilt University and her doctor of medicine from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
DAVID B. WATERS
Chief Executive Officer, Community Servings
David Waters, an advocate for integrating medically tailored meals into the healthcare system, has formed partnerships with leading healthcare payors and providers to better link clinical care and social services, designing some of the country's first health insurance contracts for prescription meals. He is the former board chair of the Association of Nutrition Service Agencies and is a leading member of the national Food Is Medicine Coalition as well as the Root Cause Coalition. In recognition of his leadership at Community Servings and within the Greater Boston community, David was named a Barr Foundation Fellow in 2017. A resident of Cambridge, he holds graduate degrees from Middlebury College and Boston University.
- Peace Corps. Global issues: food security. Accessed March 25, 2019. https://www. peacecorps.gov/educators/resources/global-issues-food-security/.
- USAID. Agriculture and food security. Last updated Oct. 4, 2018. https://www.usaid. gov/what-we-do/agriculture-and-food-security.
- Jones AD, Ejeta G. A new global agenda for nutrition and health: the importance of agriculture and food systems. Bull World Health Organ 2016 Mar;94(3):228-29.
- Hall YN. Social determinants of health: addressing unmet needs in nephrology. Am J Kidney Dis 2018 Oct;72(4):582-91.
- Banerjee T, Crews DC, Wesson DE, et al. Food insecurity, CKD, and subsequent ESRD in US adults. Am J Kidney Dis 2017 Jul;70(1):38-47.
- Appel LJ, Moore TJ, Obarzanek E, et al. A clinical trial of the effects of dietary patterns on blood pressure. DASH Collaborative Research Group. N Engl J Med 1997 Apr;336(16):1117-24.
- Huang X, Jimenez-Moleon JJ, Lindholm B, et al. Mediterranean diet, kidney function, and mortality in men with CKD. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2013 Sep;8(9):1548-55.
- Banerjee et al. Food insecurity.
- Berkowitz SA, Terranova J, Hill C, et al. Meal delivery programs reduce the use of costly health care in dually eligible Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries. Health Affairs 2018 Apr;37(4). https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/abs/10.1377/ hlthaff.2017.0999.
- Berkowitz SA, Delahanty LM, Terranova J. et al. Medically tailored meal delivery for diabetes patients with food insecurity: a randomized cross-over trial. J Gen Intern Med 2019 March;34(3):396-404. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-018-4716-z.